21 October 2007

Lazy Kunming Days

Ever since the infamous 40 hour bus ride - which you will be hearing about for years to come - we have been taking it easy in Kunming these past couple days. Between busting my camera, Lauren's sickness and the damp, rainy weather, we have been forced to take a bit of a breather - even though every fiber in me wants to go, go, go! I mean, there is shopping to do!


After Lauren dropped my camera, it kind of sucked the air out of day 1. I did not realize how much I absolutely relied on and adored my little black Casio friend. A girl cannot fully blog without pictorials and snapshots to share - it just doesn't work! We did end the day at the most precious teahouse (I didn't think these actually existed!), where everything on the menu is of course, tea! I had a delectable glass of chrysanthemum tea - complete with actual chrysanthemum flowers and buds in my glass!

Day 2 definitely improved, even though when I went back to get my camera, they said it wouldn't be ready for another 2 days since they needed to send out for a part. So, after checking out of our hostel, we had to recheck-in, which I think really confused the staff here. They had the most peculiar look on their face as if we had returned from the dead or something! We rearranged our itinerary to stay for an extra couple of days, so I am praying profusely to the Lord that my camera is in fact ready tomorrow morning at 9am like they said!

For lunch, we went to a hole-in-the-wall restaurant where I had pineapple sticky rice cooked in an actual pineapple! Ah-mazing! Then, it was time for the Chinese outlets - oh my, where do I begin? The Chinese are bloody mad! Not only are there people everywhere (no wonder they instigated the 1 child rule), but they LOVE their outlets. Scarves flying, clerks scanning, women grabbing, women shouting (as always), registers beeping - it's madness! Then Lauren almost got pickpocketed, we met more international friends (Ben from Israel & John from Australia) and I drank more Yunnan black coffee. It's all in a day's traveling people.



Now that we are upon day 3, I have a confession to make. I'm not proud of what I did, but it had to be done. I didn't want to have to do it - every part of me was saying no, no, no but my stomach was saying yes, yes and YES! I, Holly Anne Whittlef, ate lunch at Pizza Hut today. I know what you're thinking - Pizza Hut? in China? To which I respond, a girl can only subsist on rice and noodles for so long before she needs a hearty meal, a 9-inch hearty meal at that! I have never been so satisfied, sitting in a Chinese Pizza Hut, listening to LeAnn Rimes, "How Do I Live?" over the sound system and finishing all of my veggie pizza. Nothin' better, except there is. I devoured a McDonalds vanilla ice cream cone after!

After my midday splurge, I browsed the Bird & Flower Market, which does have more than just birds and flowers, fortunately. I haggled a bit but being budget conscious, didn't buy anything because I have come back to Kunming to fly out to Bangkok in a week. So, I am going to survey my options before I make any commitments. Look - I am growing up before my very eyes!

After the market, Lauren and I headed to "Old Kunming," which is known as Guandu. It's about 8 kilometers outside Kunming, and I actually don't think any of them have seen a foreigner because instead of seeing the sights, we were the sight! They had some cute temples, some authentic backroad markets and a nice little town square. It was good to see a city where they people around you seem to live an actual life there. They also use donkey carts to get around. I was so tempted to take a ride...

Then we headed back to Kunming for dinner, where we had Yunnan's famous dish - across the bridge noodles! Here's how to do it...the waitress brings you a steaming hot bowl of broth, to which you add an egg, vegetables, meat and an assortment of goodies. You stir that around and let the exceptionally hot broth cook everything through. Then, you slide in a bowl of rice noodles to go along with it, give it another stir, and you have a most delicious soup!

Now, we are back at the hostel, reading a current issue of People magazine - which Lauren found in the bathroom and to which I screamed when she gave it to me. Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, I should get my camera back at 9am, then we are headed off to Dali - another of Yunnan's charming cities. When I get the Casio back, I will be sure to go back and post lots of photos in these blogs as well. So, please say a prayer for my camera and I, and take care everyone!

P.S. I need to take back what I said about Chinese men spitting - today I saw a 70 year-old Chinese woman hawk the biggest loogie ever. Let's just say, you didn't want to mess with her.

P.P.S. If you thought legwarmers were bad, maybe I shouldn't tell you that the Chinese women (especially those who work at shops and in the market) love their armwarmers! I do not kid people - they come in cotton, fleece, silk, name your fabric!

No comments: