15 December 2007

Thai Christmas Fever

For a predominantly Buddhist country, the Thais sure love their Christmas! Yesterday, we ventured into Bangkok for a bit of last minute Christmas shopping, movie watching and eating (or gorging) a nice Christmas dinner. We were greeted with 50-ft. Christmas trees, Mariah Carey Christmas tunes and Christmas lights of all colors and shapes twinkling brightly all around central Bangkok! There were even a group of carolers singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" in front of a large 100-ft. tree in one of Bangkok's biggest malls, Central World. Now, if it hadn't been 85 degrees, I might have felt right back at home in the U.S.A.!

You can also definitely tell it is tourist season in Thailand - foreigners crowd the night markets, all of the bajillion malls and can be seen everywhere around the city! They are moving in on my territory! Last night, a Swedish lady tried to swipe a pair of Chanel sunglasses (let's be real, they were fake) from me to buy, but no worries, I swept in and made the purchase before she could do it! Of course, more tourists means more people which means only one thing in Bangkok...more traffic! The already notorious traffic drives me absolutely insane - I do NOT have one ounce of patience for it at all!

First stop of the day was Chatuchak Market - Lauren and I just had to show Thomas the glory and craziness that is Chatuchak (I dare anybody to find a bigger market in the world)! We browsed there for an hour before we bargained a tuk-tuk driver (I am getting way too good at bargaining!) to bring us into central Bangkok where we saw the Bhutanese film, "The Golden Cup." The film was fascinating! Not because it was good but because it reveals the socio-political situation of the country. It is only the second movie ever made and released from Bhutan - a notoriously private country that did not have television or Internet until 1999.

Made all on a hand-held video camera, the story was of a woman who inherited an evil curse from her descendants - which forced her to poison people and kill them in order to stay alive. She fell in love with a man who got her pregnant, then was forced to leave her because his parents threatened to disown him if he married the "poison giver." So, he left her and soon after, she sought revenge on him by cursing all his children with his new wife. But hold on...she is not as evil as she may seem! She gave away her child (so she wouldn't inherit the curse) and in the end, killed herself and her family so that the curse would end and nobody would have die anymore! I quite enjoyed the film, especially with its ridiculously cheesy special effects!

After the busy day, we headed off to the Windsor Hotel, where some of the staff gathered for a nice Christmas buffet dinner. Oh, what I wouldn't give to stay in a fancy hotel for just one night! The food, service and everything! It was nice to have a good, hearty meal (well, if you count a whole plate of desserts - chocolate pudding, carrot cake, cheesecake, bread pudding - part of a hearty meal) and lots of fun! Now, with a full belly intact, I am going to go run 2 hours and 20 minutes today! Yikes!

This week should be a fun week - lots of Christmas fun going on around the school, and my very special visitor in coming on Friday, so I am, needless to say, very, very excited! I also started tutoring last week, which went very well, and even received my first teacher gift, this cat purse from Thidarach in my class! I have to say, the reason I put a picture of it on the blog is because this is seriously in-style Thai fashion. Hilarious, I know. Happy last minute Christmas shopping, stay safe in all that snow and I wish you all an excellent week!

No comments: