07 February 2008

Sports Day (well, kind of...)

I say "well, kind of.." because in Thailand, the idea of "Sports Day" doesn't actually involve sports whatsoever. They should really call it, oh I don't know... "Provocative Dance Day," or maybe "Make-as-much-noise-as-you-can Day" because that's more what it was like around Sarasas on Sunday morning! Yes, that's right! I had to get my butt out of bed at 7:30am for Sarasas Witaed Saimai School's 2nd Annual Sports Day!

Dividing the school into four teams (Gold - my team!, Amethyst, Sapphire and Emerald), we spent the morning groggily cheering on a slew of young girls performing choreographed dances to trendy Thai songs, watching as different grade levels played a variety of games (NOT sports, just to clarify) and listening to a cacophony of screaming, yelling and cheering. Here is a group of Gold gals showing off their best (and winning the gold medal for "Best Dancing")!

Although I may joke around about the whole "Sports Day" thing, the kiddies really, really love this day and look forward to it all year. On the day the teams were announced, they came racing into the classroom, out of breath and asking, "Miss Holly! Miss Holly! What color you?" They spend weeks (seriously, weeks!) practicing cheers and games leading up to the big event - the Thais do not take these things lightly! Between eating contests, tire rolling competitions, parent dance-offs, cheering battles and most importantly, the provocative dance-offs, the students love their "Sports Day"! Here is me and one of my grade 1C faves, Aan, who looked absolutely adorable in her traditional Thai dress!

Thankfully, my long six day work week is coming to a close tomorrow now that it is finally Friday! Tomorrow is the last day for school assessments because starting on Monday, the next three weeks will be solely devoted to preparing my little 1st graders for exams! The school year is fast coming to a close...only 16 more days of teaching!

No for sure weekend plans as of yet, but I could possibly be going on a Vipassana weekend meditation retreat or heading just north of Bangkok to Ayutthaya, one of Thailand's ancient capitals, or jaunting into Bangkok for some last sight-seeing and maybe a Thai dance show. Who knows where these unpredictable Thai weekends will take me? I hope you are all staying safe and warm in these crazy snowstorms I am hearing so much about, even halfway across the world!

No comments: