23 September 2007

Animal Instincts

Clearly, I have no animal instincts, but despite that yours truly is not the hugest fan of animals, I decided that from a distance, they can't be that bad. So, Lauren and I ventured off to one of Bangkok's finest tourist attractions...SAFARI WORLD! Not only can you take a safari (complete in a rickety old van decorated in khaki) through an open air zoo full of giraffes, zebras, antelopes, Bengal tigers...oh my! They also have shows and lots of fun stuff for the kiddies - and for us wannabe kiddies!

The safari was definitely cool (I think I may even have a new favorite animal - giraffes!), but one of the highlights - according to Lauren - would be the bird feeding. There is an area in the zoo where the zookeepers give you bird feed, and you can let the birds rest on your hand and eat. It is definitely not something you would see in the U.S., probably out of fear somebody would sue them if a bird pecked someone! So, I grabbed some bird feed and became quite frustrated when no birds would land on my freshly moisturized arm. After a couple minutes, I finally got a bird and was ready for my photo op. Well, once 1 bird came, 2 more landed on my arm and before I knew it, I had 3 birds nesting...in my hair! They were pecking at it, and luckily Lauren had the camera in hand and caught a couple candid shots for your entertainment!


We also got lucky enough to run into the elephant trainers, who happened to be working with the elephants for the elephant show. Being the young, charming, vibrant young ladies we are, they offered to let us feed the elephants. Not going to lie - that trunk is A LOT more powerful than I thought, and I jumped away from it several times after it came chasing after me for more bananas. This definitely gets me excited to go elephant trekking up in Northern Thailand, which if all goes according to plant, I am going to do over our Christmas break with a very special visitor! Woowoo!

However, I have to say that the BEST part of the ENTIRE Safari World experience had to be... drum roll please... the fact that they boast the "Best Public Toilet of the Year." Yes, you heard it hear people, and just in case you are curious (come on, who isn't?), here is a picture of Thailand's best public toilet of the year!



Bet you didn't see that one coming! Haha! I also have mention the James Bond (Thai version, of course!) show we saw at Safari World. It was the cheesiest action show I have ever seen, but totally enjoyable. We also saw giraffes up close (like I said, my new favorite animal!), ate noodle bowls from these cute ladies who made our lunch on boats and saw a bunch of Cambodian tourists pretending to act like James Bond after the show. All in all, a pretty good day!

Today was of course Sunday Spa Day, and today I splurged on the good ol' reliable 90-minute reflexology foot massage (which comes with a 10-minute back massage at the end), which in one short word, is heaven! Only 150 baht (not even 5$)! Then we browsed around the market down the street, which is the largest market in Saimai (the district of Bangkok where I live) and bought some dinner. I think people are finally getting used to seeing two white girls roaming about town! The stares are getting less and less each day.

Tomorrow starts exam week at school, so it should be pretty uneventful - although knowing my rambunctiously rowdy class, something is bound to happen! I took a bunch of pictures Friday at school so this week I will write a lovely blog post all about Sarasas Witaed Saimai Bilingual School, and you will feel as though you teach their too! A pretty lowkey week all in all - but in 2 weeks, off to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for our 3-week October break so you know I will get myself into some trouble there!

No comments: