14 September 2007

Another Week Bites the Dust

Sawatdee kah! Week #2 in Thailand has absolutely flown right by me! With exams one week away for the kiddies, we have been busy with review sheets, correcting papers (my new favorite thing!) and making sure the kids know everything they need to know for exams. The latter of which is definitely not happening...but we are working on it.

Today, Thannawat asked me if my hair was a wig. I said no and preceded to get into a verbal sparring match back and forth for several minutes with him saying, "Wig!" and me responding, "Real!" Then Attakan (once again) stood up to pelvic thrust multiple times for the whole class - all during a spelling test. Priceless.

A little note about transportation...Lauren and I are getting a ride to school in the morning from another teacher named Mickey, which is so very nice of him. However, to get home from school, we have to venture out on the great songtao.

Ahhh, the songtao - definitely the cheapest, scariest and most likely way to contract a foreign disease of travel around. It consists of a small pick-up truck (think a small Ford or Chevy) with a large metal dome installed in the bed of the truck. That dome is outfitted with cheap padded seats, which if you get on the songtao soon enough, you would be lucky enough to get. You flag down a songtao just like a taxi, hop on in the back and pray you don't come shooting out the back when it slams on the breaks in the middle of the road to pick-up or drop-off the next person. When you need to get out, you press the red button, and the songtao precedes to stop on a dime right then and there. You pay the driver and then keep going on your merry way. It is a 6 baht (20 cent) experience I have come to look forward to everyday...

I have also been busy starting to plan future travels, organizing our new humble abode (more pictures to come) and settling into the daily grind. I've started running here around my little mooban (which means village) and am now stared at by its Thai residents, who I swear must be thinking, "Who is this crazy American girl running in circles around our mooban?" Also, not to mention, the homeless street dogs roaming around that chased after me on a run earlier this week, all the while I had myself convinced they were going to attack, and I was going to get Thai rabies.

Other than that, Lauren and I are heading back into Bangkok this weekend for more shopping and sightseeing, so I will definitely post again next week with lots more good pictures. I also decided that week #3 will be a good week to start taking pictures of the school and children without people thinking I am a giant weirdo. Look for lots of good stuff to come!

Have a wonderful weekend, stay safe and hope to hear from you all soon!

No comments: