17 September 2007

Gearing Up

It is that time already...another weekend has commenced here in Krung Thep (also known to us as in English as Bangkok). I guess it doesn't matter where you are, the weekends go by fast everywhere in the world! I hope you all had a good one as well!

Yesterday - as it is every week here in Thailand - was Sunday Spa Day! This week, Lauren and I decided to try out the wonderful world of facials! We went to a new spa we never tried before and found ourselves lounging comfortably in two oversized chairs, ready for them take on our pores. Now, before I get to the meat of this story, I shall make another cultural note about the use of baby powder. Since Thailand's climate is tropical - very hot and humid - a lot of people use baby powder to soak up the sweat and oil that accumulates on their faces. Makes sense, right?

So, back to the story...after an enjoyable 1-hour facial, the woman working on me asks if I would like baby powder on my face. Since she just slathered my face with lotion and SPF, I thought a little baby powder wouldn't hurt. She helps me out of my chair and hands me a mirror to look into. Well, instead of looking rejuvenated! refreshed! ravishing! (as one should after a facial), I looked like Casper the frickin' Friendly Ghost! I looked like I could be at death's door at a moment's notice - my face is completely colorless, covered in a thick layer of white baby powder. I handed the mirror to Lauren, took one look at her (she was whiter than I was) and had to hold in the biggest laugh of my life. When we walked outside, it looked more like we stepped out of the Addams Family movie than a spa! To make up for it, I went and got a foot massage. Total cost for the beauty day: 400 baht (=13$), plus a bit of pride.

On Saturday, we headed into Bangkok and to the Chatuchak Market - possibly the largest, most amazing market I have ever been to in my life. Clothes, jewelry, food, housewares, kitchen stuff, Buddhas, art galleries, foot massages, plants, animals - you name it, they have it! We browsed all morning, found ourselves lost more than once and totally enjoyed it all. I could have bought everything but decided on 4 Thai-esque bowls, which I decided will go great in the apartment back home I don't have. I'm trying out this new financial strategy where you actually make money before you spend it. I will let you know how it goes...

Another cultural note...I've noticed in Thailand that food is almost always served in a bag or on a stick. A common food found on a stick here is meat balls (not to be confused with meatballs). Found mainly at markets and street vendors, they are served with a slightly spicy (practically EVERYTHING is spicy in Thailand) sauce and are pretty good, depending on where you buy them from. Fish balls, pork balls, chicken balls, beef balls, octopus balls (except these ones are in tentacle form) - they have em' all! Here is the largest meat ball stand I've seen since being here - located conveniently at Chatuchak market. Man, the Thais love their meat!


Also in Bangkok, we saw the great Golden Buddha! Legend has it that in the 13th century, this Buddha was originally covered in plaster to conceal it from the invading enemy. It was installed in a temple in the Yannawa district of Bangkok until the early 1900's when a commission decided to move the Golden Buddha to Wat Trimitr (Trimitr Temple), where it is today. In 1955, while attempting to move the Buddha, it cracked, revealing that it was actually made of pure gold. You can actually see the plaster/cement bits which fell off the Buddha at the temple. Definitely the best Buddha I've seen so far!


Other than that, we again negotiated with tuk tuk drivers, found ourselves buying bootlegged DVD's at the Silom night markets (let's hope the government isn't monitoring my blog...otherwise things could get dicey!) and of course, enjoying some delicious Pad Thai!


Now, it is Monday and the school is gearing up for exam week next week. I should be in for lots of review sheets and games this week - off to a fine start so far. Another fun note...Lauren and I are also starting to plan our 3-week October break. Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia...here we come!

I hope you all have a wonderful week as well - take care and hope to talk to you all soon! Sawatdee ka!

3 comments:

cindy lou said...

love reading your blogs....how fun and what a great experience you are having over there.....enjoy every minute.....I am always praying for your safety and that you have the best time.....waiting for more "blog" and photos. Love ya,

Cindy

megans5 said...

I am so jealous of all that you are doing...i miss you so much though!! I hope you keep enjoying the spa days because here in america they break the BANK!!! i love ya!

Unknown said...

Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
เสื้อผ้าเด็กเท่