12 January 2008

Definitely Going Craaazy

After living in this faraway place called Thailand for five months...it was bound to happen. It started with uncontrollable fits of giggles, progressed into full out belly laughter and now it's official, we are going crazy in Saimai! It's been another couple of weeks of realizing that we in fact live in Thailand, and that we are no longer the backpack travelers of yore.

Yesterday, after realizing we needed to do something (anything to get out of Saimai and fend off the giggles!), we headed into central Bangkok to go to Siam's Ocean World. Yes, it was listed in Lonely Planet's "Things to Do with Children" section, but we were feeling about five years old yesterday. So really, it all worked out in the end. Here we are at Siam's 4D X-Venture Movie about underwater predators from the prehistoric era and sporting ultra-cool 4D glasses of course!

Where does all this craziness come from? after realizing I have been to the hospital everyday in 2008 (today is the first day of the year I haven't had to see a doctor!), I think that could be the cause of it all. Otherwise, it could be the lack of real food options here. I am almost positive I have eaten peanut butter toast just about everyday since I arrived in Thailand (no joke!). The crazies could also do with fact that my little 1st graders are crazies! Except Chakriya (nickname: Conan). Not only does he say "Goood morneeng Mizz Holly" every morning without fail, but the way he waddles around the classroom with his Ringo Starr haircut - well, it makes me smile! And you know I have a thing for chubby kids!

Another thing contributing to the craziness? Thailand itself of course! I don't think I have ever loathed anything or become more frustrated by anything in my life than Bangkok traffic. No doubt...Bangkok traffic is no-no-notorious! Don't get me wrong - taxi rides can be fun! This is the second taxi I have cruised in which sports this hilarious sticker. I think there needs no cross-cultural explanation for this one - whatever country you are in, you know not to pass a little gas in this taxi!

The laughter and craziness is bound to continue in the lives of us Saimaites (which I have termed us) which means good stories for all of you! Between more hospital visits, schooltime fun with the grade 1's, finding new things to do in Bangkok (on the cheap of course!) and surviving these last couple months in the boondocks of Saimai - there are loads of good blog posts coming your way! Hope you enjoy!

No comments: