18 January 2008

Thai Dance Fever

This week, it was a certain Mr. Thomas's birthday as well as a free day off of school just for teachers! That's right! Teacher's Day (a holiday for all teachers in Thailand) was Wednesday, which meant a much enjoyed break in the work week and a fun night out to celebrate Thomas's big 2-3! Now, I am a bit embarrassed to admit that our Tuesday night out was actually my first time out dancing in Bangkok! We headed out to Oesco Bar along Sukhumvit Road (one of Bangkok's notorious night spots) and enjoyed soaking up the Thai dancing culture (which is an important part of Get Cultural Month, of course!).

I totally had sooo much fun dancing the night away with a bunch of work friends - including Ronald, who is not only fabulously gay but also a fabulous ballroom dancer! He's been giving me lessons, and needless to say, we definitely busted a move on the dance floor. The Thai "going out" scene was definitely interesting. First, the Thais are very into appearance so to get into the clubs, there is a strict dress code, including no flip-flop sandals! We thought since it was a Tuesday, not many people would be out, but we were wrong! There were loads of people out and about - including the Sarasas Witaed Saimai School crew!

Going out on Tuesday was a welcome break from the school week, which seems to get crazier and crazier! My 1st graders love to hear themselves talk more and more each day, I swear! Miss Chartnapa (my Thai teacher) and I exchange helpless glances and laughter all the time because we don't know what to do anymore, haha! A funny anecdote from today - the kiddies and I were practicing the months of the year. I asked them if anybody knew the very important American holiday in July (aka 4th of July). Thanawat yelled out (very seriously, may I add), "Is it Miss Holly Day?" When they say cute things like that, I just can't get mad at them!

Earlier this week, yours truly experienced a lovely infestation of bugs or ants (I still have no idea which one) in her bed at home of all places, waking up Wednesday morning with over 30 bites on my back. Now, this whole living in Thailand for 7 months may seem really cool and all, but let me tell you this...after having Thai bugs invade your bed, then going out for a short 30-minute run and returning with about 30 mosquito bites, the novelty of the whole situation wears off real quick. Yikes!

(I warn you ahead of time...it's pretty gross!)

January definitely hasn't been my month, but the good news is that it's almost over! Unfortunately, with my face surgery (in which I am still suffering from a bit of minor facial paralysis) and all the conundrums of the month, I wasn't able to finish training for the marathon in Khon Kaen, which I actually trained pretty hard for and ran up to 16 miles. It's been a crazy couple weeks, but I am hoping to maybe run the half-marathon instead...so hopefully all works out according to plan!

This weekend Lauren, Thomas and I are lookin' to escape Saimai, and it appears as though good ol' Pattaya might be in our future! If you are going to the sex capitol of the world for the weekend, you are bound to come back with good stories so stay tuned for all the fun!

No comments: